Purple sprouting broccoli is a welcome spring crop, and is worth the long growing season if you have the space. It is nothing like its broccoli or calabrese cousins and is often considered the equal of asparagus; prices in the shops may help you make the decision to find the room to include this brilliant brassica.
If, like me you are waiting keenly for the first pick of home grown purple sprouting broccoli, or if you’re already reaping an early harvest, then you’ll love this fresh, simple recipe.
- Purple sprouting broccoli
- Sesame Oil
- Soy Sauce or Tamari
- Toasted Sesame Seeds to garnish
- Rinse the broccoli and cut off any hard stems
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok and add the broccoli once the oil is hot – it should sizzle
- Cover the pan allowing steam to cook the broccoli
- Just before the broccoli is cooked (still with a ‘bite’), add soy sauce
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds