Another great recipe using seasonal produce from our allotment plot chef Saskia!
I have been cooking the white turnips and chard lately and thought I’d share a few pictures and my recipes for 14 Ingredient Lentil Stew as I was very pleased with how it turned out
Ingredients: (These were the veggies I had, I am sure it will be great with most others, too.)
- Onions, Chard, Aubergine, Turnip, Sweet Potato, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Courgette, Kale, Lettuce, Sweetcorn
- Olive Oil
- Vinegar or lemon juice
- Salt & Pepper
- Sour Cream (optional) to serve
- First clean and chop your vegetable ingredients, wash the lentils well.
- In a big pot start with some olive oil and have boiling water ready.
- When the oil is hot add and stir: chopped onions, chard stems, aubergine, turnip, the lentils
- Let it sweat in the oil, stirring all the while, add a bit of vinegar or lemon juice and salt, pepper, turmeric, cumin to these, then add some boiling water. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, garlic, chopped potatoes (white and purple if you have), tomatoes, courgette, some shredded kale. Cook with a lid on, make sure there is enough water but not too much.
- Cook for another 10-20 minutes, check that the potatoes and turnips are soft.
- With 5 minutes to go add chopped chard leaves and any old lettuce. If you have any sweetcorn, add that, too.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, a few drops of lemon juice and fresh lettuce if you like.
A smaller stew
- Also using chard and turnips, beans and courgette from the plot.
- Cook in a big pot with some water, starting the same as above with onions in oil
- but adding: washed quinoa, turnips, garlic, beans, chard, courgette.
- Cook for 30 minutes.