A quick and easy recipe for using up any last autumn gluts from the garden. Ready to eat in 3 months – the perfect homemade gift.
- 3lb Marrow/ overgrown courgettes (skin & de-seed if tough)
- 1lb Onions
- 1lb Tomatoes (use green ones if that’s all you have left)
- 1lb Crunchy veg (such as cabbage, runner beans, chard stems)
- 6 good sized Garlic cloves
- 1oz Root Ginger
- 1oz Mustard seed
- 1.5 pints Vinegar (use any: white, cider, spiced – I used cider vinegar)
- Spices to taste (paprika, ginger, cayenne)
- 2tsp Salt
- 2oz Sugar
- Chop all veg into small pieces (think Branston pickle sized chunks) and place in a large flat-bottomed pan
- Add vinegar, sugar, salt & spices and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally (don’t let it stick!)
- Pour into hot, sterile jars & seal