Ross’s Easy Peasy Courgette Pesto
Courgette glut? Fed up of the sight of them? Use this recipe to hide the offending veg and make a super fast, super tasty, super fresh meal. This recipe makes enough pesto for 6 people.
6 courgettes, ideally around 12 cms long. Don’t use the oversize ones, as they may be too bitter for this recipe.
3 tbs olive oil
1 large clove garlic
handful of fresh basil
1 tbs pine nuts (or use cooked chickpeas as an alternative)
salt & pepper to taste
chilli flakes for dressing
- Roughly chop courgettes – there is no need to cook, salt or drain them.
- Place all ingredients into bowl and whizz together using a hand blender (or put into a blender) – keep the mixture slightly textured
- Test and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Cook up your favourite pasta – I used linguine
- Serve the pasta with a little olive oil mixed through; spoon the pesto on top, garnish with basil and sprinkle with chilli flakes and / or cheese.
- Add a tomato salad and warm crusty ciabatta to make into a main meal.
Courgette & Chocolate Chip Muffins
Adapted from Allrecipes UK
This is a great recipe for using up all those pesky courgettes coming into season now. The ones I used were a drier variety, which meant I needed to add a bit more water to get the right consistency. I also reduced the oil and sugar to make a less sweet muffin.
200g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
100ml vegetable oil
80ml soya milk
1 tbs lemon juice
200g grated courgette (excess moisture squeezed out)
100g bar of dairy free chilli chocolate (cut into chunks) or choc chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/ Gas 4. Grease muffin tins/ line with cases
- Combine flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda & salt together.
- In a separate container, mix egg, oil, milk, lemon juice & vanilla extract together. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined
- Fold in grated courgette & chocolate chips. Consistency should be dropping off spoon, but not runny. Add extra milk or water if mixture is too dry.
- Put mixture in muffin cases and place in oven.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes; cool; eat
Recipes supplied by BHOGG member Jenni.